Chickpea & Vegetable Soup
- 1 Onion medium, diced
- 2 Carrots medium, diced
- 2 Celery Stalks diced
- 1 Leek large, white section diced
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 3 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 can Chickpeas drained & rinsed
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes
- 6 cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 Tbsp Dried Thyme
- 2 cups Pumpkin diced
- 4 Kale Leaves ribs removed, roughly chopped
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Heat 2 tablespoons of water in a large soup pot. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until the onion starts to soften.
- Add the carrots, celery, and leeks. Continue cooking, stirring often, for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato paste and stir. Cook for 30 seconds then add beans, diced tomatoes, stock, thyme, and pumpkin. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer and let cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until the pumpkin is tender.
- Add the chopped kale and let cook for another 5-10 minutes. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Ladle into bowls and serve hot.
Photos by Amber Asakura
Gabrielle is an evidence-based vegan coach who believes that health transformation begins when you switch to a plant-based diet. Her mission is to help midlife women eat in alignment with who they are and what they value so that they can lead a happier, healthier and more fulfilling life.
Sign up for a weekly dose of evidence-based info + free recipes
Written by Gabrielle (hi!), these e-mails will help you on your plant-based journey with useful tips, tricks, facts and inspiration – and perhaps the occasional inappropriate joke thrown in for good measure.