Easy Red Lentil Dhal
- 1 cup Red Onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Water
- 3 clove Garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp Ginger fresh, minced or grated
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Curry Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 1/2 cups Dry Red Lentils rinsed
- 2 1/2 cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 cup Canned Coconut Milk
- 1/2 cup Coriander
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Lime Juice
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, water, garlic and ginger to the pot and cook until the onion softens and the water evaporates, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the curry powder, cumin, salt, turmeric and red pepper flakes and cook for another minute until very fragrant. Stir in the lentils.
- Add the vegetable stock, tomatoes and coconut milk to the pot and stir to combine. Bring the lentils to a gentle boil then reduce heat to medium-low. Let it simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the coriander and lime juice. Season with additional salt if needed. Serve it as is, or with cooked rice of choice.
Photos by Amber Asakura
Gabrielle is an evidence-based vegan coach who believes that health transformation begins when you switch to a plant-based diet. Her mission is to help midlife women eat in alignment with who they are and what they value so that they can lead a happier, healthier and more fulfilling life.
Sign up for a weekly dose of evidence-based info + free recipes
Written by Gabrielle (hi!), these e-mails will help you on your plant-based journey with useful tips, tricks, facts and inspiration – and perhaps the occasional inappropriate joke thrown in for good measure.