Oil-Free Potato Hash Browns
- 900 g white potatoes peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Place grated potatoes in a fine-mesh sieve, rinse with cold water and drain well – squeezing as much moisture as possible from the potatoes.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl and add all remaining ingredients. Mix well.
- Using your hands, scoop up about a 1⁄2 cup of the mixture and press together in your hands until a 1⁄4 inch thickness is achieved.
- Place in a non-stick frying pan on low heat and fry for about 6 minutes either side or until golden brown. You can also press in a non-stick sandwich press.
- Place in a 125°C (260°F) oven to keep warm while repeating with the remaining potato mixture.
Photos by Amber Asakura
Gabrielle is an evidence-based vegan coach who believes that health transformation begins when you switch to a plant-based diet. Her mission is to help midlife women eat in alignment with who they are and what they value so that they can lead a happier, healthier and more fulfilling life.
Sign up for a weekly dose of evidence-based info + free recipes
Written by Gabrielle (hi!), these e-mails will help you on your plant-based journey with useful tips, tricks, facts and inspiration – and perhaps the occasional inappropriate joke thrown in for good measure.