Purple Cauliflower & Roasted Garlic Soup
- Baking Tray
- Parchment Paper
- Large Pot
- Immersion Blender
- 1 head purple cauliflower
- 1 head garlic top removed to expose cloves.
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 4 cups vegan chicken broth or vegetable (I use Massel brand)
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1-2 tsp sherry vinegar or to taste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- microgreens or snipped chives for topping
- greek style coconut yoghurt for topping
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C) and line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Wrap the trimmed head of garlic in foil, with a sprinkle of water. Place in the oven and roast for about 10 minutes.
- While the garlic roasts, cut your cauliflower into florets. Then, when the ten minutes are up, add the cauliflower to the oven tray and roast for a further 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove cauliflower and garlic from the oven, and set aside to allow the garlic to cool.
- While the garlic cools, warm a splash of water in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute for about 5 minutes, adding additional water as needed to prevent sticking.
- Add the bay leaf and thyme. Give it a minute, then add the broth.
- When the garlic has cooled for several minutes, squeeze it out and add it to the broth with the cauliflower.
- Bring the soup to the boil, then remove the bay leaf and turn to a simmer. Puree with an immersion blender (on low speed), then let it simmer for five minutes.
- Stir in the vinegar to make the colour POP. Then stir in the coconut cream, and adjust seasoning to taste. Add a bit more water or broth to thin the soup to your liking.
- Serve warm with a drizzle of coconut yoghurt, cracked pepper and fresh microgreens for garnish.
Gabrielle is an evidence-based vegan coach who believes that health transformation begins when you switch to a plant-based diet. Her mission is to help midlife women eat in alignment with who they are and what they value so that they can lead a happier, healthier and more fulfilling life.
Like what you see?
If you like the look of this recipe, hit the button below and we’ll send you a free 7-day meal plan full of delicious plant-based meals!