Satay Quinoa Salad
- Small Pot
- Mixing Bowl
- 1/2 cup Quinoa uncooked
- 1 cup Water
- 5 cups Shredded Cabbage, Broccoli, and Carrots
- 1/2 cup Edamame Beans shelled
- 1 cup Snow Peas sliced
- 1 Red Capsicum thinly sliced
- 5 Spring Onions thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Coriander roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup Dry Roasted Peanuts roughly chopped, plus more for topping
- 3 tsp Sesame Seeds
- Lime Wedges
- 1/3 cup Natural Peanut Butter
- 1/4 cup Coconut Aminos
- 3 Tbsp Lime Juice
- 2 tsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp Hulled Tahini
- 1 tsp Fresh Ginger minced
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- Warm water if needed
For the quinoa
- Rinse the quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer with water.
- In a small pot, combine the rinsed quinoa and water. Over medium heat, bring to a boil. Gently reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until all water is absorbed.
- Remove the quinoa from heat, cover the pot, and let it rest for 5-10 minutes. Uncover the pot and fluff the quinoa with a fork. Set it aside to cool.
For the salad and dressing
- In a bowl combine the cabbage mix, edamame, snow peas, capsicum, spring onion, coriander, peanuts, sesame seeds, and cooled quinoa.
- For the dressing, combine all of the ingredients and whisk/mix together well. If needed, add warm water 1 teaspoon at a time to achieve a smooth dressing like consistency. This will depend on the consistency of the peanut butter used.
- Pour dressing over the salad and stir gently to combine.
- To serve, top with chopped peanuts, coriander, and a squeeze of lime juice.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Photos by Amber Asakura
Gabrielle is an evidence-based vegan coach who believes that health transformation begins when you switch to a plant-based diet. Her mission is to help midlife women eat in alignment with who they are and what they value so that they can lead a happier, healthier and more fulfilling life.
Sign up for a weekly dose of evidence-based info + free recipes
Written by Gabrielle (hi!), these e-mails will help you on your plant-based journey with useful tips, tricks, facts and inspiration – and perhaps the occasional inappropriate joke thrown in for good measure.