- 400 g chickpeas canned
- 1/3 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup hulled tahini
- 4 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened plant milk
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 6 drops liquid smoke
- fresh parsley
- sweet smoked paprika
- lemon juice
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas and add to a medium sized saucepan.
- Add the baking soda to the saucepan and enough water to completely cover the chickpeas by a few centimetres. Bring to a boil over high heat for 15 minutes.
- Using a strainer, drain the cooked chickpeas and rinse with cold water. Once completely cool, add to a blender or food processor.
- Add all remaining ingredients and process for several minutes until very smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking. Top with garnish and serve. Enjoy!
Photos by Amber Asakura
Gabrielle is an evidence-based vegan coach who believes that health transformation begins when you switch to a plant-based diet. Her mission is to help midlife women eat in alignment with who they are and what they value so that they can lead a happier, healthier and more fulfilling life.
Sign up for a weekly dose of evidence-based info + free recipes
Written by Gabrielle (hi!), these e-mails will help you on your plant-based journey with useful tips, tricks, facts and inspiration – and perhaps the occasional inappropriate joke thrown in for good measure.