Tofu Banh Mi
- Non-stick Pan
- 1/2 clove Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Fresh Ginger
- 2 Tbsp Peanuts unsalted
- 3/4 tsp Tamari
- 1/2 block Extra Firm Tofu
- 1 Small Whole Wheat Baguette
- 1/2 Carrot
- 1/2 Cucumber
- 1/4 Lime
- 20 gram Rocket
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 Jalapeño
- 3 Tbsp Fresh Coriander
- Plant-Based Mayonnaise
- Sriracha Sauce
- Peel and mince the garlic and fresh ginger. Whisk the marinade ingredients together: soy sauce, ginger, garlic, peanuts and half the olive oil. (To make this recipe oil-free replace oil with water or vegetable stock)
- Drain the water from the extra firm tofu package and press the block of tofu between your hands to remove excess water. Cut into 3 or 4 long strips. In a small container, pour the marinade over the tofu - make sure the tofu is coated on both sides then let it sit for 15 minutes.
- In a non-stick pan heat the remaining oil on medium heat. Add the tofu to the pan and cook on each side until golden brown. Ideally the edges will brown significantly more - if it stays too pale add more Tamari to the pan.
- Wash the produce. Slice the carrot and cucumber at a diagonal to get long oval slices. Chop the jalapeño into small pieces, if using. Chop the fresh coriander, if using. Cut the lime in half.
- Toast the baguette. Stack the tofu on one half, then top it off with cucumber slices, carrot slices, rocket, fresh coriander, and jalapeño. Squeeze some lime juice over the filling and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with lashings of mayonnaise and sriracha sauce if desired.
Photos by Amber Asakura
Gabrielle is a Nutritional Coach, Cooking Teacher and Mama of Five. Her mission is to help and inspire women to create a life of optimal health by transitioning to a plant-based lifestyle. She currently lives in sunny Queensland, Australia with her ‘Beardo’, five skallywags and adorable rescue dog, Lolly.
Sign up for a weekly dose of evidence-based info + free recipes
Written by Gabrielle (hi!), these e-mails will help you on your plant-based journey with useful tips, tricks, facts and inspiration – and perhaps the occasional inappropriate joke thrown in for good measure.