Vegan Mac and Cheese
- 500 g whole grain or lentil macaroni elbows
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked in boiled water for 30 minutes, water discarded
- 1 onion peeled and quartered
- 2 carrots peeled and quartered
- 3 garlic cloves peeled
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp miso paste any kind
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, fill a medium sized pot with water and bring to a boil. When water is boiling, add the onion, carrots and garlic and reduce heat to simmer until carrots are fork tender. Drain.
- Add all the vegetables to a high-speed blender with cashews, lemon juice, water, sea salt, nutritional yeast, mustard, turmeric, and miso paste. Blend until very smooth, adding more water if the sauce is too thick.
- Once the pasta is tender, drain and rinse it then return the pasta to the pot and stir through the cheese sauce. Season to taste and serve immediately.
Photos by Amber Asakura
Gabrielle is an evidence-based vegan coach who believes that health transformation begins when you switch to a plant-based diet. Her mission is to help midlife women eat in alignment with who they are and what they value so that they can lead a happier, healthier and more fulfilling life.
Sign up for a weekly dose of evidence-based info + free recipes
Written by Gabrielle (hi!), these e-mails will help you on your plant-based journey with useful tips, tricks, facts and inspiration – and perhaps the occasional inappropriate joke thrown in for good measure.