Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 brown onion diced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 600 g button mushrooms sliced
- 8 Tbsp white wine
- 2 Tbsp tamari
- 1.5 cups vegetable stock
- 1.5 cups soy milk (or canned coconut milk)
- 4 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh chopped parsley to garnish
- Heat water in a large pan, add onion and sauté until soft. Add garlic and sauté for about a minute. Add additional water as needed to prevent sticking.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Pour in white wine, stock, tamari, spices, and nutritional yeast. Bring to a boil.
- Add cornstarch to the milk and stir to dissolve. Add the mixture to the pan and cook on low-medium
- Heat for about 10 minutes until sauce thickens. Taste and add salt and pepper to your liking.
- Add chopped parsley and serve over brown rice, lentil pasta or mashed potatoes.
Photos by Amber Asakura
Gabrielle is an evidence-based vegan coach who believes that health transformation begins when you switch to a plant-based diet. Her mission is to help midlife women eat in alignment with who they are and what they value so that they can lead a happier, healthier and more fulfilling life.
Sign up for a weekly dose of evidence-based info + free recipes
Written by Gabrielle (hi!), these e-mails will help you on your plant-based journey with useful tips, tricks, facts and inspiration – and perhaps the occasional inappropriate joke thrown in for good measure.